Sons of Union Veterans of The Civil War
Department of New York
Colonel Augustus van Horne Ellis Camp 124

Honoring the Civil War Veterans Buried in
The Warwick Cemetery
Including the Men of the 124th NYVI, Company D
The Warwick Boys
Warwick, NY

hr.gif (1635 bytes)

Urn with Flags.JPG (40515 bytes)

Urn.JPG (20158 bytes)

 

The Warwick Memorial Urn, dedicated on Decoration Day in 1887, was purchased by Warwick’s Michael Mullery Post 575 of the
New York Department, Grand Army of the Republic. The urn,
a green cast-iron planter set on a granite pedestal, honors local men
who lost their lives while fighting to preserve the Union. Originally, the
urn was placed to honor 40 men from the area who died and were
buried in far-off places that today we consider our Nation’s most
hollowed ground, among them: Gettysburg, Fair Oaks, Cold Harbor,
Spotsylvania, and Andersonville.

These 40 men had served in a number of different units, including
the 124th and 56th New York Volunteer Infantries, the 5th New York
Cavalry, the 7th New York Heavy Artillery, and the 20th US Colored Troops. Each year, on Decoration Day, their names were read aloud:

Martin Ackerman, Cornelius Allinson, Lewis Ashley, Jerome Babcock,
David A. Barrett, Francis A. Benedict, E.B. Benjamin, James Bertholf,
Sidney Bertholf, Joseph Brooks, Abram Brown, Joel Brown, Joel Cole,
Jeremiah Dolson, John Edwards, Thomas Farrell, Robert Gardner,
Isaac Garrison, Thomas Gaul, John S. Gray, Thomas Griffiths, John Hall,
William E. Hyatt, James Luckey, Oliver Lewis, Isaac Mason,
Robert McGuffie, Michael McMorris, James L. Pembleton,
Thomas Powell, George Riley, Joseph B. Roy, James Ryerson,
Robert Ryerson, George Shawcross, Harrison Storms, James Storms,
John Travis, Zopher Wilson and Alfred Youmans

Company D of the 124th NYVI
was recruited and organized in the
Town of Warwick by James W. Benedict and Daniel Sayer. Nearly all of its members claimed Warwick as both their residence and their birthplace. The Company reported to Colonel Augustus van Horne Ellis' headquarters in Goshen on August 16, 1862. History reports that the nearly 150 men of Company D were principally intelligent young farmers who were proud of their nickname, "The Warwick Boys."

Many of these men, more than 130 of them, now rest in the Warwick Cemetery.

Ellis Camp honors these men by placing the plaque, pictured at right, beneath the Warwick Urn at the Warwick Cemetery,
in their memory.

Company D.JPG (5445 bytes)

hr.gif (1635 bytes)

 

Return to Colonel Ellis Camp 124 Home Page

Return to Department of New York Home Page

icon.gif (404 bytes)Return to SUVCW Home Page
Return to SUVCW Web Site Index
Return to SUVCW List of  Departments