Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR
NATIONAL G.A.R. HIGHWAY OFFICER
The purpose of the National G.A.R. Highway Officer is to promote and preserve
recognition of Route 6, the G.A.R. Highway, which runs from the east to west coast of the United
The activities of the National G.A.R. Highway Officer should include the responsibilities
(1) Maintain any and all records pertaining to the G.A.R. Highway.
(A) Seek information concerning the G.A.R. Highway.
(B) Collect and organize information provided to the National Organization.
(C) Make information available upon request to interested parties for research and
(2) Communicate as required with state and federal officials regarding the G.A.R. Highway.
(A) Monitor state and federal legislation regarding the G.A.R. Highway.
(B) Provide appropriate federal officials, upon assuming office, the name, title,
organization, address and telephone number of the National G.A.R. Highway Officer, and a brief
description of the National Organization's interest in the G.A.R. Highway and in assisting where it
can in the preservation of the G.A.R. Highway designation and signage.
(3) Communicate with Department G.A.R. Highway Officers regarding the condition of Route 6 in their respective states.
(A) Encourage Department G.A.R. Highway Officers to contact appropriate state officials to
promote ceremonies and re-dedication ceremonies on anniversary dates and to promote signage
(B) Contact the state officials directly in states without a Department G.A.R. Highway Officer.
(C) Encourage Department G.A.R. Highway Officers to work with state and other interested
individuals to start G.A.R. Highway Associations within their states.
(4) Serve as the National Organization's liaison with other organizations on matters pertaining to the G.A.R. Highway.
(5) Perform all other duties delegated to the office by the Order's Constitution and Regulations, National Encampment and Commander-in-Chief.
(6) Prepare periodic status reports on the activities of the National G.A.R. Highway Officer to be presented to the Commander-in-Chief.
(7) Prepare and submit an annual written report to the Commander-in-Chief and the National Encampment on the activities of the National G.A.R. Highway Officer.
Return to SUVCW Home Page
Return to SUVCW Web Site Index
Return to list of National Jobs
Go to list of National Officers