Commander-in-Chief Kent Armstrong opened the meeting at 7:58 a.m. by asking PC-in-C Robert Grim to lead a prayer which PC-in-C Grim did eloquently. This was followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag led by the Commander-in-Chief. Council of Administration present as follows: Commander-in-Chief (C-in-C) Kent L. Armstrong, Senior Vice Commander-in-Chief (SVC-in-C) Stephen A. Michaels, Junior Vice Commander-in-Chief (JVC-in-C) Donald E. Darby, National Quartermaster PC-in-C Elmer F. Atkinson, PC-in-C Robert E. Grim, National Treasurer Max L. Newman, National Secretary PC-in-C Edward J. Krieser, PDC Ronald B. Gill, PDC Robert M. Petrovic and PDC David P. Stephen. In addition were National Washington DC Representative PC-in-C Andrew M. Johnson, PC-in-C Charles W. Corfman, PC-in-C George L. Powell, National Counselor PDC James B. Pahl, National Executive Director PCC Lee F. Walters, National Chief of Staff PDC Michael S. Bennett, National Camp-at-Large and Department Organizer PDC Gary L. Gibson.
Commander-in-Chief Armstrong honored a request by the Ladies of the Gramd Army of the Republic (LGAR) led by National President Lynne Bury, to address the Council of Administration regarding a matter of Fraternity, Charity and Loyalty between the Allied Orders. Points shared as follows:
1. In planning for the 2003 Allied Orders' Encampment, many difficulties have been incurred by the LGAR. Paramount among these problems we have found that most of the difficulties have resulted from a lack of communication.
2. The hotel took an "approximation" the morning of the meals, as an "actual count" and wants to charge us on that basis.
3. It was our understanding that pianos were included in the original arrangements for the site. Later we were told we must provide our own piano, estimates we were told were as high as $500.00 for the weekend. We found this outrageous, and we were forced to make our own arrangements.
Commander-in-Chief Armstrong informed the Ladies we would get back with them after certain questions were answered by others not in the room at the time.
Upon continuing with the meeting, the C-in-C thanked PC-in-C Powell for his years of service as a voting member of the Council of Administration, welcomed immediate PC-in-C Grim in his new capacity, and welcomed newly elected Council of Administration Member PDC Dave Stephen.
C-in-C Armstrong recapped the recommendations of Executive Director Lee Walters which were looked at during last Council of Administration meeting August 7, 2003.
1. That standardized forms for department rosters be developed and mandated for use by all departments which will contain all the information required for the National Database. C-in-C directed SVC-in-C Steve Michaels as Chair of the Program and Policy Committee to contact Brother Richard Williams about the Database.
2. Changes to be made to the Eagle Scout Certificate and the Membership Certificates. National Quartermaster PC-in-C Bud Atkinson to check into this.
PC-in-C Grim moved, second by SVC-in-C Michaels to retain Brother Linn Hoadley as National Membership-at-Large Coordinator and PDC Gary Gibson as National Camp-at-Large and Department Organizer. This immediately passed by unanimous vote.
C-in-C Armstrong directed National Treasurer Max Newman to check with auditors on how to best handle the Litigation Fund that the National Encampment created this weekend.
Had discussion on liability insurance. Executive Director Lee Walters was instructed by C-in-C to check into what can be covered and for what price.
PC-in-C Grim moved, second by PDC Petrovic to re-evaluate the Executive Director's contract vs. his current duties. Unanimously passed.
PC-in-C Grim moved Treasurer Newman seconded to grant temporary pre-approval to the Charitable Foundation of several items for them to pursue and return for formal approval when design is determined. There was a friendly amendment by JVC-in-C Darby to limit the pre-approval for 1 year (untill August 2004). The motion as amended passed by a vote of 9 to 1. The items are:
Glass Items: Cold Drink Mugs, Shot Glasses, Wine Glasses, All Barware items;
Coasters: 6 pack coolers/ cooler sleeves;
Jewelry: Watches/watch fobs, Rings, Neck Medallions, Charms. Key Tags, Pins, Pendants, Money Clips, I.D. Bracelets, Pocket Knives;
Golf Accessories: Balls, Umbrellas;
Office Accessories: Pen, Pencils, Desk sets, Letter Openers, Rulers, Book Marks, Address Stamps;
Auto Items: Emblems Etched/Bas relief, Tail Light Covers, License Plate Holders;
Christmas Items: Ornaments, Christmas Cards;
Travel Items: Briefcase, Attaché Bags, Garment Bags.
It was decided by consensus from now on, if the National Encampment Memorial Service and/or Joint Opening will have to be in the same room where the SUVCW Business Meeting will occur, that the room be set up for the meeting (Lodge Style setup) ahead of time. This will help reduce the time that is lost due to the need for furniture rearrangement between functions in the same room.
The meeting was adjourned.
Respectfully submitted in
Fraternity, Charity and Loyalty,
Edward J. Krieser, PC-in-C
Return to SUVCW Home Page
Return to SUVCW Web Site Index
Return to Council of Administration Page