Sons of Union Veterans of The Civil War
Office of the Commander-in-Chief
Perley E. Mellor, Commander-in-Chief
16 Norma Drive
Nashua , NH 03062-1340
General Order #14
8 January 2013
Below I have attached General Order 2013-01 issued by Major General Robert Grim, SVR to the SVR. I am sending out my own General Order to the entire SUVCW because I believe everyone in our Order needs to be aware of these changes to the Remembrance Day Parade and weekend as quickly as possible.
Please ensure General Grim's General Order has the greatest dissemination throughout the Order (following):
GENERAL ORDER 2013-01
Sons of Veterans Reserve
1. The 57th Annual Grand Army of the Republic Remembrance Day Parade sponsored by Sons of Veterans Reserve Military Department of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War will be held on Saturday 23 November 2013 and not on Saturday 16 November 2013 as previously published. We apologize for any inconvenience this date change may cause.
2. The SVR/SUVCW headquarters hotel has also changed. Our headquarters hotel is now the Wyndham Hotel 95 Presidential Circle, Gettysburg, PA, phone 1-717-339-0020 1-717-339-0020 FREE . There is a 2 night minimum and we have a special daily room rate of $113.00. They also own the Courtyard Marriott which is right next door within walking distance and the rate there is also $113.00. In addition to the hotel room rate the local and state governmental authorities will impose their customary tax on hotel guests. Hotel reservations can be made any time after 15 January 2013. It is suggested that you make your reservation early as this will be the 150th anniversary of President Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address which may result in a large number of visitors to Gettysburg for Remembrance Day weekend. The special hotel rate is available to all those identifying themselves as participating in the SVR/SUVCW Remembrance Day activities.
3. The annual SVR breakfast will be held at the Wyndham Hotel at 8:00 a.m. 23 November 2013. Reservations should be made with Colonel Donald E. Darby, Adjutant General of the SVR.
4. The annual Grand Army of the Republic memorial ceremony will be conducted at the Woolson Monument in Ziegler’s Grove on 23 November 2013 at 11:00 a.m.
5. The Original Civil War Ball sponsored by the SVR/SUVCW will be held at the Wyndham Hotel on the evening of 23 November 2013. Tickets are available from Brigadier General Henry E. Shaw, Jr., Deputy Commander of the SVR. Music will be by the Philadelphia Brigade Band with dance instruction by the Victorian Dance Ensemble Performing Troupe of the Civil War Dance Foundation. The net proceeds from this ball are donated to the Gettysburg National Military Park for monument preservation.
Robert E. Grim
Col. Donald E. Darby
Ordered this 8th Day of January, 2013.
Perley E. Mellor.
Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
National Order, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
Return to Index of General Orders